So what’s the secret to staying relevant in a company when you’re not physically in the office? Here are 15 ways to stay present at work when you work from home:
1. Check in regularly. Since you can’t pop into a nearby office or chat in the elevator, constant communication is key.
2. Announce news often. Make an effort to frequently update your team so your role isn’t forgotten. Met with a new client? Made new strides in a project? Email everyone on your team when new events happen.
3. Identify your team’s busiest time of day. Some offices buzz early. Some really get rolling at 4 pm. Figure out that peak time of work at your office and then make sure you’re responding to any correspondence in real time.
4. Carve out a time when you answer calls and emails. Get more done and ditch distractions by sticking to that schedule.
5. Add your coworkers on your social media feed. “If you share your profiles on social media with your coworkers, pop on there occasionally to like, comment, and share, especially work-related items. Take part in the virtual celebrations of your colleagues, and share your own wins as appropriate.
6. Don’t forget to pick up the phone. With so many digital ways to stay connected, it can be hard to remember that the old-fashioned phone call could also be the most effective during critical times.
7. Set up video-conferencing equipment. Set up a Zoom account or other video conferencing platform and use it to connect with your team.
8. Attend company functions. If you’re local, attend big team meetings, holiday parties, or annual meetings.